ShiftCarbon (SHFT.CN) is a platform that allows clients, large and small, to measure their emissions comprehensively, set reduction goals, and embed carbon offsetting into their business.
To gain a foothold in this socially responsible sector that also encompasses superior growth potential, SHFT is a viable and direct proxy.
According to the Corporate Credit Institute, a carbon credit is a tradable permit or certificate that provides the holder of the recognition the right to emit one ton of carbon dioxide or an equivalent of another greenhouse gas. The main goal for the creation of carbon credits is the reduction of emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases from industrial activities to reduce the effects of global warming.
Salient Initial Facts:
· The company’s common shares on the Canadian Securities Exchange (the ” CSE”) will also change to ‘SHFT” from “TSA.” (Tracesafe)
· The company will continue using the TraceSafe brand for its suite of IoT and Real Time Location Services cloud platforms as it continues to drive revenue.
· The name change reflects the Company’s new strategic focus on sustainability products that help customers meet stakeholder and regulatory climate disclosure requirements while providing innovative ways to embed carbon offsets into customers’ business operations.
For those interested, here are the global prices for carbon credits, updated every 5 minutes.
Carbon pricing is an instrument that captures the external costs of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions—the costs of emissions that the public pays for, such as damage to crops, health care costs from heat waves and droughts, and loss of property from flooding and sea level rise—and ties them to their sources through a price, usually in the form of a price on the carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted. (World Bank)
Wayne Lloyd, ShiftCarbon CEO, states, “This time is an exciting new chapter for the company. The “Taskforce on Scaling Voluntary Carbon Markets” has estimated that demand for carbon credits could increase by 15 times or more by 2030 and be worth upward of $50 billion in 2030. Our unique approach to decarbonization will propel the trading of carbon credits and help enterprises and the world reach our goals of achieving net zero.
For investors who purchased SHFT as its predecessor, TSF (Tracesafe), the latter is now a division of the former, so the influence and potential have risen impressively and expanded into new influential markets. And timely in the sense of promoting carbon credit issues globally.
The Company will continue using the TraceSafe brand for its suite of IoT and Real Time Location Services cloud platforms as it continues to drive revenue. The name change reflects the Company’s new strategic focus on sustainability products that help customers meet stakeholder and regulatory climate disclosure requirements while providing innovative ways to embed carbon offsets into customers’ business operations. ( PR Dec 15th, 2022).
Companies have started to report and track the amount of carbon they emit yearly. Some of this is because of regulatory reasons, and the other side is that investors and consumers expect it. When they measure their carbon footprint, it typically falls under the:
· Scope 1 Emissions are the direct greenhouse gas emissions from company operations.
· Scope 2 Emissions are the indirect greenhouse gas emissions from energy purchased by the company.
· Scope 3 emissions include the indirect emissions (not included in Scope 2) that occur in the company’s value chain (this consists of both downstream and upstream emissions).
There are two ways to reach Net-Zero:
· Improve operations (e.g. use cleaner fuels, EV cars, take fewer flights, etc.)
· Purchase carbon credits
While the top chart does not include population totals (Canada is 1/10 the size of the US and 45% of Germany, the individual stats are disturbing. There is little doubt that the Carbon Credit sector has robust growth ahead, because it is necessary to limit climate warming and is also a clean, sustainable business.
Over the next decade, there is little doubt that the sector will become exponentially more extensive and less complex, and the technology will become more refined and accepted by industry, companies and especially the public who will and are demanding meaningful climate action.
ShiftCarbon provides the foothold investors are looking for and can feel good about owning.